Saturday, February 9, 2008

In Memorium: Brody

I wanted to post two quick stories by which I will always remember Brody.

Brody came around when the grandkids were just starting to show up. When Kylee was 2 or so she was kind of a bossy kid. Brody was already big enough to be a lot bigger than a bossy two year old. So whenever Kylee was around Brody, Brody would crouch down the whole time so that Kylee could feel big and in charge. I'm not sure anything could have made Kylee feel like she was not in charge, but still, it was sweet.

Another one was when Spencer had invited the Drama Club over for an end of the year barbecue. Brody was still pretty young and we were worried about him running around and bothering everyone and keeping them from enjoying their steaks. So I was supposed to tether Brody, appropriately enough, to the tether ball pole. Brody hated to be tied to anything and threw a fit when I did it. He ran full speed until the chain caught and jerked him around. I let him off after that so that he wouldn't kill himself. Brody slunk off to the corner of the yard and sulked. I felt really bad for chaining him up, and I took about 8 ounces of steak over to him to try to make amends. He wouldn't touch it. He just turned his head away from me every time I tried to talk to him and he let that steak rot right there on the lawn. He wouldn't come to me for 3 days. He finally forgave me, but it took a while. I never chained him up again.

I know everyone loves their dog, but Brody was really special. He had so much personality and was so eager to make his family happy. If you have a good Brody story, please leave it in the comments.

3 comments:

Callie Proffitt Christiansen said...

Brody was the sweetest dog ever. There wasn't a mean bone in his body. In my senior year of highschool Brody was in my school play, Oliver. He played the big mean guys dog. He was so good that we never put him on any kind of leash. He just always did what we wanted him to do. I would always hear funny little comments about a REAL dog being in the play. One day we were rehearsing a scene where the big mean guy came to the bar everyone was in and he tossed a few people around. I happen to have been chosen as one of those people. It was supposed to look like he back handed me and I fall off the bench. So brody's on stage for this scene and the guy comes over and pretends to back hand me and I've never seen brody move so fast. He was on his feet and had that guy pinned in 2 seconds flat. No harm done just had that guy under his paws. It was awesome. After that we had to find a little leather leash thing to keep him on during that scene. He was sure a good sweet dog but he definately protected the ones he loved.

Cassie said...

I remember when I was a senior in high school, he would always sleep in my room with me. One day, the bug guy came in kind of early in the morning to spray the room. As soon as he tried to open the door, Brody went after him to protect me. He barked and barked so loud. Like Callie said, he was the sweetest dog, but if you threaten one of us, he was not gonna have it.

-Cassie

Michelle said...

No one told me that you lost Brody. I'm very sorry to hear of this loss.
I love your blog and your sophisticated posts :)
We'll keep our eyes out for a job for ya!